Sunday, April 6, 2008

A View of Portland: The Rose City, March 26, 2008

Look through my eyes and Kodak camera lens for a view of my trip to the beautiful Pacific Northwest, Portland, the Rose City. I enjoy telling stories through my photography and I can even work my magic on this traveling Kodak camera when the subject is already beautiful as in the city of Portland!

Even after heavy rain upon arrival, driving to the Red Lion Hotel, which is across from the Oregon Convention Center, this California girl did not let the drizzle and cold keep her indoors. The city shines in her light and I HAD to wander around to soak in the atmosphere, drink up the city! I didn't have an opportunity to see much more than what I photographed, since I had to immediately setup for Bead Expo Portland a few hours later. Every trip I take, I try to have at least a few hours to attempt to absorb the city. It is these precious moments that I soak in inspiration through the images I select to capture. I was able to capture some of the city to share with you. Come see with me!

And even in Portland, as in Tucson, a new friend decided to join me to lead the way to some of the city's highlights!

(click any image for an enlarged view)
Mr. Squirrel told me to follow him and walk to the right. I figured he's from the area and must know where he was going, so I followed him, until he dashed into the bushes. I guess I wasn't quick enough or he was just teasing me to see if I'd follow. I found my way to The Temple Beth Israel.

The Temple Beth Israel
(excerpt from their website)

Centrally located in eclectic Northwest Portland, our campus reflects the Congregation's commitment to Jewish learning, worship and community. Two small chapels provide intimate settings for interactive religious gatherings, while the architecturally renowned Temple (completed in 1928) lends grace and formality to services on High Holy Days, Festivals and other occasions.


The beautiful doors and architectural elements

Always look up and see, not just at eye level as there is much to be missed if you just look straight ahead. Fine examples of Byzantine architecture.

The Congregation was founded in 1858, when Oregon was still part of the Oregon Territory. It was the first congregation west of the Rockies and north of California. The then new Congregation held religious services in Burke's Hall, which was located above a livery stable located on First Avenue.

The first Synagogue on SW Fifth and Oak streets was built in 1859. Having outgrown the building, the Congregation erected its second, larger synagogue in 1889 nearby on SW 12th and Main Streets. In 1923 this Synagogue was destroyed by fire. The present Temple, completed in 1928, is considered one of the finest examples of Byzantine architecture in the Northwest and is designated on the National Register of Historic Places.

Congregation Beth Israel's history is also an integral part of the history of Portland and Oregon. The names of our founders and past presidents are intertwined among the civic leaders and merchants who formed our city and state. Congregation Beth Israel has had 18 Senior Rabbis in the last 148 years.


The path that leads to the cherry blossom trees. I eagerly followed.

Cherry Blossoms

Gently, there is a breeze
Cherry blossom petals amidst
Floating from above high
Drifting down, ever so light
Petals landing on my head
Here and there, more or less
I take in the sweet scent and aroma
Oh Mother Nature, how I love thee


The Park across the street and the flowering cherry blossom "Sakura" trees scattered about


The twists of these trees, oh so beautiful to me.



Be at peace, this last image is so serene. I hope you enjoyed my photo-essay.

Until next time, Lisa
Related Posts with Thumbnails