Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Color me ... Purple

I am a color junkie. If there is anything to be addicted to, color is a GOOD thing!

I don't know about you but I have a fascination and affinity for the color purple, especially. I mean is it a bit too much if I have a purple stapler with purple staples? And it doesn't end there as I use purple tissue paper to wrap my beads at shows (2 shades, mine you.) Then we can't forget the purple paper shopping bag. I happen to be wearing a purple T-shirt this morning (I didn't mastermind this coincidence, by the way) as I write today's entry.

I am often inspired by nature in all it's glorious colors but there is just something about the color purple and it's variations. Here are some interesting "purple" facts I found: (Learn more about purple on Wikipedia)

Purple Definition:

NOUN:
  1. Any of a group of colors with a hue between that of violet and red.
  2. Cloth of a color between violet and red, formerly worn as a symbol of royalty or high office.
  3. Imperial power; high rank: born to the purple.
  4. Roman Catholic Church
    1. The rank or office of a cardinal.
    2. The rank or office of a bishop.
ADJECTIVE:
  1. Of the color purple.
  2. Royal or imperial; regal.
  3. Elaborate and ornate: purple prose.

Nature of Purple: The opposites of hot red and cool blue combine to create this intriguing color. Purple is derived from the mixing of a strong warm and strong cool color so it has both warm and cool properties. Purple can boost imagination and creativity. Too much purple though could result in moodiness.

Purple Culture: Purple represents royalty. A mysterious color, purple is associated with both nobility and spirituality. Purple is the color of mourning for widows in Thailand. It was a favorite color of Cleopatra. Purple has been traditionally associated with royalty in many cultures as purple robes were worn by royalty and people of authority or high rank. The Purple Heart is a U.S. Military decoration and honor given to soldiers wounded in battle.

Purple Language:
  • Purple cow - something remarkable, eye-catching, unusual
  • Purple prose - exaggeration, highly imaginative writing (also has negative connotations - colorful lies)
  • Purple speech - profanity, raunchy language
  • Purple haze - state of confusion or euphoria, possibly drug-induced, type of marijuana

Purple Descriptive Words: These words are synonymous with purple or represent various shades of the color purple. Violet, plum, lavender, lilac, fuchsia, puce, thistle, orchid, mauve, magenta, royal, amethyst, wine, pomegranate, eggplant, mulberry, aubergine, heliotrope.

The Seduction of Purple: I am often seduced in using purple in my glasswork and jewelry designs. I often collect images that provide me with visual stimuli, speak to me or inspire me in some form to emulate later in my various projects. From time to time, I will share some of these images on the blog. Mother nature is breathlessly beautiful and I hope some of these images inspire you too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails